Sunday, August 19, 2007

To the village and back again

On Sunday, the Americans gathered together for a time of worship. There was an opportunity for people to share. I shared about how thankful I was to even be in attendance and highlighted God's sovereignty that orchestrates every detail of life. I recalled that it was in Peru that the Lord saved me. It was humbling to remember where I had been and that He should save one such as I. It was really coming full circle to be back.
But really I want to share another's story from that time. Al Shannon (who has worked in Peru with his wife, Barb, for more than 30 years and was in Huaraz when I lived there) spoke of a memory of Pushpi. Pushpi is one of Mike's co-translators. He is an extraordinary man who loves that Lord and works tirelessly in His service. Al spoke of a day when Pushpi came into the center(where offices, etc. were located) for a conference. He noticed that Pushpi's feet and pants were covered in mud. While speaking with him, Pushpi told Al that he'd just gotten back from one of the villages where he'd been reading a passage of the Gospel to a group of Quechuas for a comprehension check. Comprehension checks are obviously one of the most critical parts of translation work. He read of the woman who'd been hemorrhaging for 12 years and Jesus' response to her. After Pushpi finished reading a woman began groaning and said, "If only Jesus were here, He could heal me." Pushpi responded that Jesus was with them right then and could heal her if she believed. Al didn't know the outcome of that woman, but he said as Pushpi shared all of this he looked back again at his mud-stained feet and pants and thought "How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who bring good news." I love that story and I still cry when I think of it. What a beautiful example of the Lord using the lowly to further His Kingdom.



After our worship service was done a large group of us travelled out to see the village where Mike and Cheryl lived the first 5 years in Peru. It's called Shellia (but I never did find out the correct spelling) and actually is not far from Huaraz. It's at the base of Huascaran and just beautiful. We saw the Miller's old house. Ben was only 2 at the time and they were there until he was 7. Kaitlyn was only a baby and was three by the time they left and moved into Huaraz. I had never gone to Shellia during my entire year in Huaraz. I did spend one night in a village called Wino ("we know"), but that's fantastic story for another time. So it was great to see where they had orginally lived. In the pictures below there is a small, very old Quechua woman that Mike knew--Senora Victoria. He spoke with her for a few minutes and it was sweet to watch them interact. You can see how small she is next to Mike (who's not overly tall). She reminded me of a hobbit, actually. Mike introduced her to his brother David--who is significantly taller than Mike. She looked at him and said, "what a giant man!" Mike translated from Quechua for the rest of us of course. Then he pointed out Benjamin to her. In one picture, he's describing Ben being a small boy and then look at him now. She did remember him. There are not many white-haired, white-skinned boys in a Quechua village as you might guess. She was amazed at how tall he is now. It was for dear souls such as she that God sent the Millers to put His word into Huaylas Quechua. We walked around a bit more and then headed back home.

Regarding the pictures: #1 Walking down the path to the Miller's old house in Shellia. #2 The Millers in front of the old house--Heather, Ben, Kaitlyn, Mike, Carly, Jon #3 Senora Victoria #4 & 5 Talking about Ben as a toddler and then looking to him now as a grown man. #6 Shellia countryside #7 Leaving the village #8 Meat hanging in someone's courtyard, mmm...pig #9 Nothing says clean laundry like free-roaming chickens


















Later that night many people (including all the Miller clan who were heading north to a beach house for a few days) loaded onto buses bound for Lima and then home. I spent Monday in Huaraz and was able to visit with some Peruvian friends that I lived with for a few weeks back in1995. Their daughter is a few years younger than me and we were close friends. Paola lives in Switzerland now with her Swiss husband. I was very sad not to see her, but it was a delight to visit with her parents. Being alone a good portion of the day was very good for me though. Without so many dear friends to visit with and so many activities to be running off to, I felt a great desire to go home. I really missed Adrian and my daughters. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to remember that my life is with my family. I love Peru--especially Huaraz, but without the people I love there, I cannot stay. It was a good time of closure. I don't know if I will ever return to Peru. I hope that one day I can return with my whole family, but if not, I am content. God has given me so much and I am so thankful. On Monday night I rode the bus down to Lima for my flight on Tuesday afternoon. Everything was smooth and painless. As an added gift, it was clear as we flew up the coastline of Peru. I got to see the whole Cordillera Blanca as I left. I arrived in D.C. at 2:30am and was met by my cousin, Elaine. What a woman to pick me up at such an inconvenient time! We went back to her home for about two hours before I left for the train station. I didn't actually get out of the airport until closer to 4 with customs, etc. I got on the train and left at 7:30. Adrian picked me up at noon in Newport News and I was home. How sweet to see him again. What an amazing husband to let me go so far for so long while he stayed home with the girls! I cannot tell you how many people said to me, "You're husband is staying home with the girls for a ten days!" They were beyond amazed and told me how great he is. I agree 100%. I left again at 7pm and headed to Nags Head where the girls were with my mom's family at a cottage. It was a joy to see them too. I am glad to be home.



Me with Marco and Marlene Monday evening


So ends my ramblings of my trip to Peru. Thank you to so many of you that helped me get there. Every prayer was answered with abundant blessing. There were no problems of any kind. It was a opportunity of a lifetime for me.

No comments: