Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Huaraz

Well, actually I am back in the U.S. but since I didn't have time to write during my trip I will update you now. The bus ride up to Huaraz on Wednesday night was fine although I didn't sleep much of the trip. We went over the puna (pass) to get back down into the Huaylas valley where Huaraz is located just as the sun was rising. The valley runs north-south and the snow-capped mountains are to the east. The snow-caps could just be made out. I started crying. It was so special to be home. We got into Huaraz a short time later. The hotel where I stayed with the Miller family was really lovely. The dining room had huge panoramic windows that looked out onto the Cordillera Blanca (snow-caps) specifically Huascaran. Huascaran is the biggest mountain in Peru at 22,205ft. Huaraz is 10,500ft. above sea level. I never suffered from the altitude which was just one of the countless blessings during this trip. The first day was mostly unscheduled and everyone rested and then went to an open-house for the Americans after lunch. The open-house was very enjoyable. I saw many people from Wycliffe that I had not seen in 12 years. What an amazing reunion! The sweetest being with all of the Miller kids. I had not seen Kaitlyn or Benjamin in 7 years. From the first moment it was as if we'd never been separated. We immediately functioned as a unit and our time together was infinitely rich.
Huaraz itself has grown considerably since I left in June 1995. Shortly after I left a mining company came in and opened several mines. The town grew a lot as a result and tourism increased also. So I heard that 90,000 live in Huaraz proper now as compared to the 30,000 when I was there. Mostly this meant a lot more traffic and lights (there used to be just one), an endless stream of taxis, and lots of restaurants (yummy!). In a lot of ways though Huaraz is still the same. It felt good to be back.





Regarding the pictures: (top) all the Millers kids (including me!) together again--me, Kaitlyn, Jon, Ben & Carly; (bottom) Huascaran with a portion of Huaraz below.

No comments: