Sunday, June 1, 2008

After ten years of marriage...


...I can no longer distinguish the line that separates me from you.

Last Friday (May 23) marked our 10th anniversary. In general, I can't believe so much time has passed. But when I stop to reflect on all that has occured, it does feel like many years.

Adrian told me early in May that he was planning something for our anniversary. However, I was not privy to any of that information until the week of. I at least knew we were going away because my mom and step dad kept the girls. That was it though. So Friday afternoon, we left around 4:30 and headed to Williamsburg. Adrian had reserved a room for us at a beautiful bed and breakfast. It was decorated with rose petals on the bed, flowers, chocolates, and wine all waiting for us. We went out for a very nice dinner. Our reservations were not especially early but we were the only ones there--a nice alternative to loud, crowded restaurants. When we returned from dinner I was finally allowed to know all that Adrian had planned. There were lots of gifts. Many of them we'd already planned to get, but hadn't yet, so he was able to present them. So now we have our membership to the Botanical Gardens (the surprise was that it's for 2 years) and he already renewed our season tickets to the Regent University plays. The one I wasn't expecting was Fun Passes to Busch Gardens! So for the summer we can go up and enjoy time together there. Our first time was that next day, Saturday. He also gave me a couple of new games for us to play together. (You know how we're game nerds.) Busch Gardens on Saturday could not have been more perfect. The weather was ideal. It was crowded as it was the opening weekend but the lines were resonable. The best part was that we had no agenda. There was no pressure so we moved as we pleased and enjoyed such a nice day. It was so fun to ride and laugh and scream together.

I think one of the aspects of marriage that I most cherish--now that we have spent a good spanse of time together--is just the comfort and normalcy of being together. I can see first hand and experience the reality of the mystery of marriage--that two people become one flesh. I do not think of myself apart from Adrian. I don't know how to live without him. It is encouraging and exciting when older friends who are now celebrating 20 or more years of marriage tell us how it continues to get better. What an amazing gift from God that we continually experience the notion of "the best is yet to come."

So Happy Anniversary, my love. Ten years down....a lifetime more to go.

P.S. In my hurry to leave that Friday I couldn't find my camera. Ahh! I've never missed an anniversary picture and wasn't about to miss our 10th! So we picked up a disposable camera Friday night, but haven't finished the film yet. Oh well, next year for sure.




1 comment:

Red said...

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Anniversary! I remember the day you got married like it was yesterday, but since it's been almost 6 years for me and I didn't even know David then, I guess it has been quite a while! =0) You're so encouraging Lauren - "the best is yet to come". I'm stealing that. Love you guys!!