Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Peru

I have officially returned to Peru after 12 years. To say that it is amazing is an understatement. My day started at 3:30am when I arrived at Dulles airport. After I checked my bag I went through security and on to the gate. Everything was smooth and painless. My flight to El Salvador was easy. I slept a little, but was quite tired. There was a very brief layover, changed planes and went on to Lima. I slept a lot of that flight. But I woke up in time for lunch. TACA still serves meals. I don´t know if other international flights still do that. It was a pleasant surprise. Each flight was four hours. Moving through the airport in Lima was almost creepy. Ours was the only flight to have arrived at that time. So we were the only ones to go through security, get our luggage and customs. But I am not complaining. It was very quick. I made it to my hotel here in Lima by taxi with no trouble. It still amazes me that driving can function in the way it does here. Although there are a lot of countries that are just as bad. How there are not thousands of accidents per day is a mystery.

For now, my head is spinning. Partly out of a crazy schedule and partly out of being in an entirely different continent. I think that once we get to Huaraz everything will be normal again. It is not until much later tonight that the next people I know arrive here at this apartment. Then the Miller kids arrive very early in the morning. Tomorrow I am looking foward to being with them and going shopping. Tomorrow night we ride the bus to Huaraz.

Just yesterday as I was getting ready to board the train to D.C. for my flight I thought, "In 24 hours I will be in Peru." And so it is. Amazing!
I look foward to writing more soon. Hope you enjoy reading my jumbled thoughts as I move through an extraordinary adventure.
Until next time...Lauren

2 comments:

amandajohns said...

miss you, girl! I can't wait to hear/see more about your adventures. We are looking forward to having the girls on Tues. Kris says thanks for waking him at 4am when you called from the airport:) love ya!

Shelley said...

Cannot wait to see pictures. We've been wondering what God is up to with you in Peru...we will be excited to see what he has been doing!